The Missions Committee is responsible for leading the outreach ministry of the church at all levels (local, national, international, etc.). The responsibility of the committee includes such things as identifying missionaries to be supported by the church and coordinating such support, scheduling missionary visits and reports to the church, organizing mission trips and other such efforts, and possibly organizing a missions conference. The Missions Committee also advises and works with the Session on measures to promote the zeal and support of the church for this vital ministry.
We want Providence Presbyterian Church to be a beacon of light to the world. As a church body, we strongly desire to be a messenger of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a lost and dying people, whether in Edwardsville, St. Louis, or countless other places in this nation and around the world. We pray that God will use this church to reach those who have not yet bowed the knee in reverent submission to the Lord of Lords, and have not yet experienced the joy of living in the freedom of God's marvelous grace. To that end, PPC has established the following guidelines for consideration of financial support with particular missionaries.
Guidelines for Missionary Support Consideration
- A credible testimony of salvation through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ alone.
- Holds to the Doctrines of Grace (Calvinism). There should be no disparity between the truths that we hold to be Scriptural and those who we would support to carry those truths in Christ’s name.
- The ability to clearly discuss the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- A member in good standing at a true gospel church. This would give the PPCMC the opportunity to contact the pastor and elders to get further insight into the person’s Christian life, ministry experience, evidence of a call for missions work, etc.
- Not a new believer. A missionary should be evidencing maturity and steady growth in the Christian faith with a track record of faithful living, a servant's heart and a life of sacrifice.
- If married, a stable and Christ-centered relationship in the marriage with full marital support of the missionary endeavor.
- Sufficient training to meet the call.
- A well thought-out plan to carry out the call of God on their life. The plan should be an extension of what the person has been doing part-time for some while prior to going full-time.
- Holds to the Westminster Confession of Faith (may have a few differences but holds to the overall system of doctrine contained in the Westminster Confession and Catechisms).